Call Us : 0485 2258653, 9446485333,9446474333
MEAT PRODUCTS OF INDIA LTD is a Kerala Government owned company engaged in production and marketing of various meat and meat products derived from chicken, buffalo, beef, pork, mutton and duck. It has FSSAI license from Government of India. The products are manufactured under strict veterinary supervision from healthy and disease-free animals and birds.
Livestock rearing is an essential part of rural economies in Kerala. It produces a series of invaluable services to mankind, by providing cash income, milk, eggs, hides, skins, dung, social stability, investment, labor opportunity, status as well as cultural values. However, the livestock sector in Kerala is preponderated with smallholders. Hence, the share of the gain from increase in farm income by the smallholders and landless animal keepers will depend largely on the availability and quality of inputs and organized market avenues. For many it may be difficult to access markets to buy inputs and services or to sell their livestock products.
Pigs are highly prolific and very efficient biological feed converters and pork enjoy more or less the status of staple food alongside rice in the State. Pig production in Kerala implies a significant reuse of household/restaurant waste, waste of commercial enterprises (bakery, market, vegetable and fruit leftovers) and industrial (brewery, abattoir) activities. It is said that one pig can convert about 5-7 kg of waste from the environment to nutritious pork meat. In that way pigs can be considered as cleaning machines of our environment. However, the demand of pork is higher than supply. There are ten Government pig farms established in the State under piggery development scheme. However, the piglet production in these pig farms is not sufficient to meet the piglet requirements of the farmers of the state. The department has maintained regional Pig breeding farms at several locations with the objective to introduce improved breeds of pig.
The project proposes to give 25% subsidy for the construction of pig shed, biogas plant, purchase of piglings, pig feed, and insurance coverage. A total of 20 piglings will be supplied to each farmer in a course of two years, in batches of 10 at 6 month interval. After a period of 6 month rearing all the grown up pigs will be taken back to MPI for meat production. The project also proposes to give a premium price for grown up pigs at the time of purchase.
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROJECT.
1. To increase the population of quality pigs and assured supply of pork products
2. To generate rural employment among the local self help group and entrepreneurship development.
3. To provide financial support to the local self help groups.
4. To ascertain the quality of animals reared in the farm to ensure the quality of the meat produced.
5. To provide co-operation among different government organizations.
6. To provide extension services.
7. To help the rural poor to improve their standard of living.
8. To exploit the market already existing for better gains.
9. To make a creative intervention in the sector to check the monopolies from the neighboring states and to strengthen our production systems